Sunday, January 20, 2013

Here Come The Mummies

Okay my fine feathered readers, this may be the longest review as of yet, but this band is absolutely hands down my favorite "local" band of ALL time!  I saw these guys on YouTube doing the Bob & Tom show.  They performed a song called "Pants", and I INSTANTLY fell madly in love with them.  I'm not talking I'm a huge fan kind of love, I mean I absolutely would run away naked and join their Carnal Carnival if ever given the opportunity!  These guys are a gift from the music gods!

There's a lot to say about this 12 member funk band, so bear with me!  Trust me, the read is totally worth it!  There is a shroud of mystery surrounding this band.  Every member is a professional musician, but none have ever been named.  The band is extremely secretive about their real identities.  It's rumored that between all members there are several grammy awards, however a very limited number of people know who the men are under the wraps.  I am not one of the few, so I can't confirm or deny said rumors.

Well known by some for the double entendre lyrics, Here Come the Mummies has built a HUGE following for themselves.  I've always said that unless you really listen to the words, you would think that they're huge perverts, but the lyrics tell otherwise if you listen closely!  Pants, for example, is a song about going on a date, however without paying attention all you notice is the line "Oh Oh OH I'm coming in my pants".  Wildly comical, all of their songs follow in the same suit.  There isn't a song that they perform that I don't enjoy thoroughly!

I understand that funk music may not be for everyone.  My husband had never really enjoyed listening to their music, BUT I made him go to a show with me in Joliet, IL and once he saw them live, his exact words were, "It's unreal the talent that those guys have!  Every one of them was amazing, and knowing what they put into it makes them awesome!  That was a ***** blast!"  I have to agree.  Their live show is absolutely one of the most entertaining shows I have ever attended, and believe me, I've been to a lot of shows!  For the most part, tickets are a mere $20, and worth every penny!  Bonus, they do shows all over ALL the time!  They are definitely an "on the road lifestyle" kind of band!

Proudly promoting not one but SIX albums on their label Sphinxter, the Mummies have definitely created a brand for themselves.  Reading the bios on their Facebook page and their personal website is entertaining.  They market themselves as though they are REAL mummies.  They stay in character so much so, that when I did meet them and got autographs they didn't speak, simply grunted and groaned at me!  Albums include "Terrifying Funk From Beyond The Grave" and "Bed, Bath, and Behind".

There are a million things I could gush about like a high school girl, but I'm going to let you do some digging for your own Mummies experience!  I am going to post some pictures from the show I went to and several links where you can find them!  Let your freak flag fly guys!  Take the journey!!!

And just in case any Mummies do read this, I have a freak flag on my mic stand at every show!  I love you all!!!  Please don't ever stop doing what you do!

  • Mummy Cass - Guitar, Lead vocals: Mummy Cass(annova)
  • Java Mummy - Percussion, Vocals: Java (born 1974 B.C. as J Mummy Love)
  • Eddie Mummy - Drums, Vocals
  • Mummy Spaz - Keyboards
  • K.W. Tut - Bass, Vocals: K.W. 'Big Bomb' Tut
  • Mummy Rah - Tenor Sax
  • The Flu - Baritone Sax
  • Teste Verde - Trumpet
  • Ramses Mummy - Bass
  • Bucking Blanco - Trumpet
  • Midnight Mummy - Baritone Sax
  • The Pole - Bass
http://herecomethemummies.com/
https://www.facebook.com/herecomethemummies
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_Come_the_Mummies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB5EE42So7I

You can also find their music on iHeartRadio, Spotify, Myspace, MOG, Rdio, simfy, and Deezer!!!!





***Have a band?  Know a band you want to see reviewed?  Send me an email and some links @
redlollimusic@yahoo.com****






No comments:

Post a Comment